Gold Coast Health Plan's (GCHP) Health Education Program is committed to helping you stay well. We work with local clinics, providers and hospitals to provide quality health education resources to members.
No prior authorization is necessary for members to attend health education and health promotion activities. Call for more information about programs and materials.
Health Education Resources
Health education materials are available in English and Spanish. All materials are free of charge to members. To request materials, call 1.805.437.5718.
It is important to keep your asthma under control. Members may download an asthma action plan to fill out with their doctor. The asthma action plan helps you know what to do if your condition changes.
Breast cancer can cause changes in how the breast looks or feels. Different women have different warning signs for breast cancer. Mammograms can find breast cancer early as some women do not have any signs or symptoms at all. A woman may find out she has breast cancer after a routine mammogram. Find a clinic near you for mammogram screening:
Getting ready for the birth of your baby is an exciting and busy time. One of the most important decisions you will make is how to feed your baby. Deciding to breastfeed, if you can, can give your baby a great start in life. Below are resources to help you in your breastfeeding journey.
- Breastfeeding Coalition of Ventura County (English) / Breastfeeding Coalition of Ventura County (Spanish)
- Mother’s Milk Bank (English) / Mother’s Milk Bank (Spanish)
- Ventura County Breastfeeding Resource Guide (English) / Ventura County Breastfeeding Resource Guide (Spanish)
- Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) Breastfeeding Resources (English and Spanish)
All women are at risk for cervical cancer. It occurs most often in women over 30 years of age. Screenings can help prevent cervical cancer. When cervical cancer is found early, it is most likely treatable and linked to a long and good quality of life.
Obesity in children can lead to diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol. These resources from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) can help you and your family make healthy changes:
Do you have a chronic health issue? A chronic health issue is one that lasts for a long time. This includes arthritis, diabetes, heart disease, depression, obesity, pain and more. Gold Coast Health Plan (GCHP) invites you to join the free Chronic Disease Self-Management Program (CDSMP). The program can teach you how to control and manage your symptoms.
- Chronic Disease Self-Management Program Flyer (English and Spanish)
- Class Schedule: View the GCHP calendar for a list of upcoming CDSMP classes.
- American Diabetes Association
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Gold Coast Health Plan Diabetes Exam Record (English and Spanish)
- Health Library Resources (English and Spanish)
Diabetes Prevention Program
Getting healthier and losing weight is even easier now. Gold Coast Health Plan (GCHP) has teamed up with Solera to bring you a diabetes prevention program designed with you in mind. When you sign up, you’ll get health education information to make healthier food choices, move more, and lower your risk of type 2 diabetes. And it’s available at no cost to you! Don’t miss out.
Join other GCHP members who have already gotten started on their health journey. Please see the COVID-19 Information page for telehealth tips for using phone and video.
For other health concerns, call the GCHP 24-Hour Advice Nurse Line toll-free at 1.877.431.1700. If you use a TTY, call 711. For all other questions, call GCHP Member Services at 1.888.301.1228 Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (excluding holidays). If you use a TTY, call 1.888.310.7347.
Did you know?
- One in three people are prediabetic.
- Losing 5% to 7% of your weight lowers your risk.
- Participants who lose weight have more energy and sleep better.
Get started with these three easy steps:
- Take a health quiz: Complete a short quiz at solera4me.com/gchp (English and Spanish) or call 1.888.305.6008, Monday through Friday from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. PST. If you use a TTY, call 711.
- Pick your program: Choose an online-only program from a leading health solution or a community group.
- Get your tools: Get an activity tracker,* receive a wireless scale (with online programs), and help from a health coach.
*For participants who complete four weeks of activity meeting Diabetes Prevention Program guidelines. Applies to select models; limited to one per person. Solera Health reserves the right to substitute an alternate tracker.
High blood pressure, also called hypertension, is blood pressure that is higher than normal. High blood pressure often has no symptoms, so routine testing is the only way to stay on top of your blood pressure.
- American Heart Association (English and Spanish)
- Health Library Resources (English and Spanish)
- My Blood Pressure Check Up Flyer (English and Spanish) / My Blood Pressure Check Up Flyer Large Print (English and Spanish)
Here are some resources to help you make your home lead-safe for your child:
- California Department of Public Health (English and Spanish)
- Find the Lead Sources (English and Spanish)
- Making Your Home Lead-Safe for Your Child (English and Spanish)
- Protect Your Child From Lead (English and Spanish)
- Ventura County Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program (English and Spanish)
Gold Coast Health Plan (GCHP) offers resources for pregnant members and new parents. If you would like to receive Pregnancy Resources, a First 5 Parent Kit, or Postpartum Resources call the Health Education Department at 1.805.437.5718. If you use TTY, call 1.888.310.7347.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Positive Parenting (English) / Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Positive Parenting (Spanish)
- Free pregnancy and new parents e-newsletter (English and Spanish)
- Free Baby Diapers Resource List (English and Spanish)
- Health Library Resources (English) / Health Library Sources (Spanish)
- My Birth Matters (English and Spanish)
- Postpartum Support International (PSI) (English) / Postpartum Support International (PSI) (Spanish)
- Safe Kids Ventura County Car Seat Education (English) / Safe Kids Ventura County Car Seat Education (Spanish)
- Ventura County Nurse Family Partnership (NFP) (English and Spanish)
Start healthy oral health routines at home by brushing teeth twice a day for two minutes, flossing every day, and eating and drinking healthy. Seeing a dentist starts with the first tooth or first birthday!
- Dental Emergencies Flyer (English and Spanish)
- Fluoride Varnish: Helping Smiles Stay Stronger (English) / Fluoride Varnish: Helping Smiles Stay Stronger (Spanish)
- Medi-Cal Dental: Services and Find a Dentist (English) / Medi-Cal Dental: Services and Find a Dentist (Spanish)
- Ventura County Public Health Oral Health Resources (English and Spanish)
Lupe Gonzalez, PhD, MPH
Director, Health Education, Outreach and Cultural & Linguistics Services
Cultural and Linguistic Services
Visit the Interpreter and Translation Services page for more information.