Health libraryBack to health library
Red, white and green grilled cheese
Makes 4 servings.
1 teaspoon garlic, minced (about 1/2 clove)
1 small onion, minced (about 1/2 cup)
2 cups frozen cut spinach, thawed and drained (or substitute two 10-ounce bags fresh leaf spinach, rinsed)
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
8 slices whole-wheat bread
1 medium tomato, rinsed, cut into 4 slices
1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Nonstick cooking sprayDirections
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place a large baking sheet in the oven to preheat for about 10 minutes.
- Heat garlic with cooking spray in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Cook until soft but not browned. Add onions, and continue to cook until the onions are soft but not browned.
- Add spinach, and toss gently. Cook until the spinach is heated throughout. Season with pepper, and set aside to cool.
- When the spinach and onions are cool, assemble each sandwich with one slice of bread on the bottom, one tomato slice, 1/2 cup of spinach mixture, 1/4 cup of cheese, and a second slice of bread on the top.
- Spray the preheated nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray. Place the sandwiches on the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until the bottom of each sandwich is browned.
- Carefully flip sandwiches, and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until both sides are browned. Serve immediately.
Serving size: 1 sandwich. Amount per serving: 254 calories, 8g total fat (4g saturated fat), 29g carbohydrates, 17g protein, 6g total fiber, 468mg sodium.